Progress: An Illustrative Presentation by Burrard Dry Dock Company Limited of their War and Peacetime Shipbuilding Facilities 1894-1946. Burrard Dry Dock Company, Vancouver, 1946. 4to up to 12″ tall; 72 pages illustrated with full and double-page photographs and folding rear map. Blue boards with gilt titles front; photographic endpapers. Printed in two tone. Contents in fine condition; binding tight with rubbing to board edges and spine; light soiling rear board. Laid in original photograph of worker.
The Burrard Drydock Co was founded by Alfred Wallace in 1906 and was originally named the Wallace Shipyards Ltd. In 1925 they built the first floating drydock in Vancouver. “The company was the busiest Canadian shipyard during the war, building a total of 109 Park and Fort Liberty-class freighters, corvettes, minesweepers, and Admiralty maintenance ships from 1939-1945. During this time, they also converted and outfitted 19 escort carriers for the Royal Navy. “ (BCSN-July-Aug-12-Burrard Drydock Lisa Glandt Librarian/Archivist, Vancouver Maritime Museum). 003231 $50